Friday, January 10, 2014

Blackberry Vinaigrette

Now, I like salad. When I say, I like salad, I should clarify that. I like GOOD salad with lots of stuff in it, but that's just me. Everyone has their own choice of salad. Here is mine. I'll share what I put in it, but it's really up to you to make yours the way you like.

Lettuce (I use a mix of romaine and iceberg, sometimes some spring mix)
Sweet bell peppers. I like the little ones that my minions refer to as "candy peppers" in multi-colors because they are sweet
Baby carrots
Snow peas
Celery
Almonds
Pomegranate 
Cucumber
There are no pieces of tomato in this because I think tomato is disgusting. (I do include it in other recipes, but no not in a salad)
Texas Toast croutons

I don't know that I've ever made 2 salads that were exactly the same. 

I like good salad dressing if I'm going to use any. Sometimes I just pick a roasted garlic rice vinegar and go with that instead but if I want dressing, I want something that's going to make the salad. 

These inspired me. I can't even tell you how much I love blackberries. Normally I wouldn't want to "waste" them on something like a recipe, because I prefer to just stuff them in my mouth, but this was a giant container of them so yum.


This one is pretty easy. You can use a food processor, blender or I used my magic bullet. 

Ingredients
1 ½ cups of fresh blackberries
3 Tblsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp minced garlic. You can use fresh or jarred, do not try and substitute powdered. 
This is an example of what the minced garlic looks like. 

1 Tblsp agave nectar
1 Tblsp honey
½ cup olive oil
Salt 
Pepper
Italian seasonings (you can use what you like or you can buy a mix like this one from Pampered Chef*) 

* I am not a PC consultant, but I do like their products, particularly their stoneware. I don't buy many of their mixes, but I know that by region brands of things may vary by store. I figured I'd use something you can get pretty much anywhere. 


Steps:
  1. Wash your berries and set aside. Measure out 1½ cups. I measured 2 and ate half a cup, because well... blackberries. 
  2. In your blender, food processor, whatever device you are using, combine your vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic, agave and honey. I really like the blend of the agave and honey but you can just use the honey if you don't have any agave. 
  3. Drizzle in your olive oil slowly. If you are using a magic bullet like I did, add it half at a time, blend and then add the rest.
  4. Taste. This is a really important step. You need to make sure you don't want it sweeter. If you do, experiment with the honey and agave until you get a blend that is right for you. 
  5. It's going to be really pretty. You can strain it through cheesecloth or a fine sieve if you have one to remove the seeds. You don't have to, but I like it better that way. You need 2 hands for that so you don't spill it all over the counter so I don't have any pictures of that.
  6. Pour it into a container that has a lid because this makes a bottles worth. 
  7. Then you say TADA and everyone thinks you are awesome.
Go eat salad. It's good for you and it makes an excellent salad dressing delivery system. Besides, tell me that isn't pretty!





1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful and I'm going to attempt to make this this weekend!

    ReplyDelete