Thursday, January 23, 2014

Chicken Fajitas




Fajita marinade:
  • 2 Tblsp olive oil
  • 2 cloves of crushed garlic (or minced if you prefer)
  • 1 Tblsp soy sauce
  • 1 Tblsp teriyaki sauce (you can sub ½ Tblsp pineapple juice & ½ Tblsp honey if you don't have teriyaki made up) 
  • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
  • salt and peper to taste
Fajita stuff:
  • Onions, sweet, I recommend Vidalia for this
  • Chile peppers (if desired)
  • Chicken (you can sub steak or pork or shrimp)
  • Bell peppers, I prefer multi colored because they make it look so pretty.
  • Flour tortillas
  • Zucchini (optional, I didn't include it this time but I do in summer when they are everywhere)
  • Cheese. You can get a Mexican melting cheese if you like, or I usually stick with either a very sharp white cheddar or else I just give in and pick up some queso dip from my local Mexican restaurant.
  • sour cream
  • guacamole
  •  sliced green onions
  •  chopped tomatoes
  • Serve with hot cooked rice and refried beans, if desired.
Step 1:Whisk the marinade ingredients together in a bowl... or the easiest way is to dump them all in a large freezer ziplock bag and mix together.
Then you can just toss the meat in there & seal. I cheated. I actually had some chicken I grilled the night before. I'm still going to marinate it though!


Step 2:refrigerate overnight (or at least 2 hours!)
Step 3:Heat the oil in a heavy skillet
Step 4: Slice your chicken into strips.  If you didn't pregrill your chicken, then cook the chicken strips over high heat, stirring constantly until cooked, it won't take long. Cast iron or stainless steel is ideal for this.
Step 5: Drain extra marinade from pan, take out meat and set aside.
Step 6: Wrap your tortillas in foil and pop in oven to warm.


Step 7: Slice your veggies into nice strips. I love bell peppers. See how pretty they are with the multi colors?





Step 8:Add the onion, garlic and chile peppers to the oil in the pan and sauté over high heat for 2 minutes until crispy but tender.

Step 9:Add the bell peppers and zucchini; cook over high heat for 4 minutes. Again I like mine crispy tender but with a tiny bit of char. If you like tomato in your fajitas and want it cooked now is the time to add.
Step 10: Return the chicken to the pan and heat until sizzling hot. Serve and portion. Top with cheese.


Step 11: Serve right away, with warm tortillas, lime wedges, sour cream, guacamole, sliced green onions, and chopped tomatoes, hot  rice and refried beans, (all optional) This is my homemade salsa. Let me know if you want the recipe for that to go up as well. I always serve with tortilla chips too.

ENJOY! For dessert I made caramel apple empanadas. I'll put those up tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment