Sunday, January 5, 2014

We call these Apple Cannonballs

So, these are a HUGE favorite at my house every winter.  I make these for breakfast when I want to spoil everyone, or sometimes even as a side dish cause they are great with pork... chicken too, but most often they are a dessert. (Try them with ice cream. Seriously. You'll want to send me presents after you do)

These are awesome made on the grill too, but I save that for summertime. Your timing on that will be about 20 minutes to cook them and wrap them in heavy duty tinfoil instead of the lightweight stuff.

I went back and forth on what to show you for the first real post, and decided this was it, because... well... apparently I had an overabundance of apples. 

See? In fact, I had so many that I tripled it and made 12.
Stop judging me. You'll make 12 too.



INGREDIENTS:

                                             
  • 1/4 cup raisins. Golden are perfect, but regular work too. This time I used regular so they showed up better in the pictures.
  • 1/4 cup of brown sugar (light, not dark)                                                  
  • Nuts(optional) Some, a handful, however many you like. I suggest walnuts although pecans are REALLY good as well.                                    
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  •  1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
  •  1/4 teaspoon of ginger
  •  Dash of allspice

  • You can substitute about a teaspoon of apple pie spice for the nutmeg, ginger and allspice, but keep the cinnamon, you can't really over the cinnamon in this.       
  • medium to large apples. Any will do but best results come with a baking apple like Granny Smith, Mac's or my favorites are Cortlands. I did not have good results with Honeycrisps, but those are perfect for eating just the way they are anyhow!(I actually made 12 in this batch)                           
  •  ABOUT 2 Tablespoons of butter, softened.
  • You will also need tinfoil.

  •  
    Step 1. Preheat your oven. I'm going to assume you know how to do this part. 350*F
    Step 2. Select your apples. I went with a mix of Cortlands and Granny Smiths.
    Step 3. Measure and then combine your  brown sugar, raisins, and all your spices in a bowl. You can set this aside for now.
     
     
     
    I have adorable heart shaped measuring tools, but it's ok if you don't. It will still taste just as good. (Remember, I'm making 3 batches at once)
     
     
    Step 4. Optional. Chop nuts to small pieces. If you don't like nuts skip this step. If everyone in your house likes nuts, add to the bowl. If only some do, keep these off to the side. That's what I have to do, but if everyone is a fan, toss them in!
     
    Step 5. Core your apples. Be careful. It really only hurts the apple for a minute.
     
     
    If you have an apple corer that makes it easy. You can also use a melon baller and scoop out the core but that takes a while. I have this awesome sharp stabby thing that is meant for cutting stuff like watermelon. I think it's called a v-cutter. Mostly I just call it the stabby thing. I make sure to stab it ALL the way through the apple so I can just push the core out.
     
    BE CAREFUL. Blood does not add to the flavor. Not even a little. These are NOT vampire apples.
     
    Step 6. This one's super hard. Place each apple on an individual piece of tinfoil. Ok, it's not hard.
     
    Step 7. Spoon the mixture into the apples.
    Really use your spoon .. I use my fingers usually, to pack the filling into the center of the core. It makes ALL the difference. You get more filling and they just cook up better.
     
     
    This is where you add nuts if only some people in the house like them. Do the no-nuts ones first, then add the nuts to the bowl and continue the process for the ones with nuts.  Here's a handy hint in case you have to do this. I use food safe marker to write on my parchment paper and then set them on it accordingly.
    This is how I like it. With nuts. Then it's a breakfast food.
     
    Step 8. Seal the top of each apple with a dab of butter. You'll see as soon as you spread it onto the apple. Mmm It's going to be SO good.
     
    Step 9. Seal tightly in the foil. Cannonballs. See?
     
     
    Step 10. Bake for about 30-40 minutes on a cookie sheet lined with foil or parchment paper for easy cleanup. Depends on the size of your apples, but they should be soft when you touch them. (Carefully test this by poking them with a fork)
    They're done. TADA! At this point you should say TADA and then everyone will know something good is coming.
     
     
     
    Let them cool as long as you can, it's going to be hard to resist.  Place in boil, open the foil, and smash it with your fork. It comes out the consistency of a mashed potato and is so good I can't even tell you.
     
     
     
     
    Here's one.
     
     
     This was a Granny Smith, I wish I'd actually thought to take a pic of one of the Cortlands because they are prettier, but they taste amazing and flavor isn't dependent on the pretty factor! The color will fade from the skin, and you might want a knife for the skin if you plan on eating it? (Why wouldn't you, it's fantastic!)
     
     
    Anyway, that's all there is to it. Oh, if you have any left over, put it in an airtight container, save it for oatmeal or on top of a muffin or ice cream. It's amazing on toast too.
     
     
    Enjoy!
     
     
     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment